Sunday 9 January 2005

Stitchin' n bitchin'

It's a new year and time for a whole new batch of projects to get underway. I finally managed to finish off my lilac confection which has meant that I'm really not in the mood to get back into quite so many cables and lacey bits for a few weeks anyway.



Christmas was a busy knitting time as I made a gorgeous little scarf and hat set for a friend's Christmas present. That was followed by a Colinette One Zero feast of a jumper, hat, scarf and bag for another friend - the promise of a big box of Thornton's kept me going. Then there was a skein of Colinette Isis that just had to be made into a scarf for a friend who's ill at the moment - thought it would cheer her up and it seems to have done the trick. Then there was the chunky sweater using some Funky Chunky and a pattern out of one of the Rowan Big Wool books - that took 3 evenings! Finally I'm onto some pink Lopi wool I got from Ebay that is going to look well smart as the hooded top from the original Stitch n Bitch book. That's my third garment out of the book and one out of the new one. I can't believe how much knitting I've done since last May - I've just gone mental with my pins and can't stop creating things. I'm turning into such a traditional homebody with my knitting, cooking, photography and gardening but it's so nice to be able to create and have my efforts appreciated. Now that I'm getting the hang of altering my knitting properly (thanks SnB Nation for the calculations) I feel that I might be able to progress onto designing and creating my own pieces properly. The process is getting there and I'm really getting the hang of a wider range of techniques. I think joining the local Stitch n Bitch group has been a huge boost - not only to my creative splurge but also in helping me gain in self-confidence. They're a really cool bunch of women and very appreciative and open to everybody's range of talent. I've always felt a bit out on an edge because of loving such an old-fashioned craft like knitting so it was lovely to find a group that were so into their pins and wool. To be able to lust over each other's wool, pattern books, or what somebody else is making without folk thinking you can't be right in the head is absolutley brilliant. And to do it in public is even better! It's very liberating to feel like a pioneer in the new wave of knitting and creative impulse but to feel at home with a bunch of like-minded individuals.

No comments: