Wednesday 31 August 2005

Life is the name of the game...

...and I want to play along with you! Nice to see you, to see you, nice! And our first challenge this evening on the Generation Game is to unwrap a set of chairs and put them together in under 3 minutes. Think you can do that?! Your time starts - NOW!


Stage 1 - unpack and unwrap

And after you have completed the task this is what's left in the box. do you really need that much sodding wrapping for 6 ickle chairs. The plastic stuff round the legs we could understand but then there was a paper wrapping on the chair legs - it was like soooooooo unnecessary.

What's left

The finished product is rather nice, especially when set off by the lush assortment of potted plants what I have managed at keep alive. Not easily done when there are all sorts of animals about which like to poo in the pots and eat bits of plants. So that's the patio complete just in time for the other 11 months of the year when we can't get use out of it - the joy of Scottish weather!

All finished

I've also had a bit of a knitting frenzy - always seems to happen after I come back from offshore. Something about pins and frustration I think. Perhaps I'm sublimating my desires to kill people (after being nice to "everybody" for 3 days at a time) by working with knitting pins when I could so easily be making voodoo dolls and sticking pins in them instead. Whatever the reason I do now have another couple of additions to the wardrobe - which I need of course...I'm a girl, don't argue! A girl can never have too many bags, hats and shoes (Ab Fab).

So first off the block is my first knit out of Teva Durham's Loop-d-Loop book (which I adore). This Yoke Vest has been knitted up in Rowan Polar (why did Rowan have to discontinue it just as I discovered it - bugger!) as it has a very similar gauge and yardage to the original yarn in the book. I had ordered 4 balls and I only needed 2 so a definite bonus there. I just need to find a pattern for bedsocks on 8mm needles now and then I can use up the other 2 balls on that. They would be so cosy.

Teva's Yoke Vest

I finished an adapted version of Danny out of the House of Hemp "Hemp Hugs" pattern book. I added some 3x3 rib round the neckline to pull it in a bit and made the sleeves much shorter as I only had the one skein of the Kaalund Mohair from Get Knitted but I do think it has turned out rather nice.

Danny in Kaalund Mohair

You can see the variation of colour in the close-up. No modelled pictures at the moment as the light has been a bit rubbish when Robert (my photographer!) has got home from work. Don't think that's going to disappoint anyone though.

Danny close-up

Progress on Reveal slowed down somewhat as I cracked on with the other 2 things. Think it might have something to do with the fact that I'm now on the sleeves so have about 300 stitches on the needles at one time now. A bit of a drag but perfect for taking to S'n'B tomorrow night when I can't do anything that requires concentration.

Reveal

And the other project that's on the go is my one requiring concentration - the I Do shrug from Knitty. It is rather lovely but it does need some counting and doesn't progress so well when a George decides to help.

I Do Shrug

Time to see if I can find the cribbage scoring box. I was taught to play on my trip offshore last week by the OIM (big boss!) no less and as I'm due back out to the rig in about 5 weeks time I am supposed to have practised so I can join in with the evening game inbetween presentations. I'd better have the hang of the scoring by then as that's the hardest bit to pick up. How old-fashioned can you get - card games, isn't it brill! Computers become predictable but you can never tell what the hell a person will do next - makes it far more fun!

1 comment:

Ali said...

Well, well. You have been very busy indeed! Your garden looks great and with your fire pit you may get to use it more than you think! I also love the colours of Danny and Teva. I look forward to seeing them modelled!
So I guess the time to reveal my identity is here - yes I'm your secret Pal (http://floatnpurl.typepad.com/). Hope you'll visit my blog and see pictures of my Wally (by the way, has your Wally turned up yet?).
With love from your not so secret Pal x