Wednesday 16 September 2009

Important things done!

Wherever I go I always join the local library and today I made it up the road (a whole 2 minute walk) to the Laurencekirk Library. 


I think I must have been a member of a library since I was about 7 and I remember Granny Heddle taking myself and my cousin into Kirkwall to join.  It's the oldest public library in Scotland and was founded in 1683 - obviously its not in the same building now...or got very few of the books that were around at the time!  I used to have a real obsession with the Drina books by Jean Estoril at one time but I can't really remember which other books I used to get out of the library.  Then there was all the ones I persuaded Mum to buy for me or that I got with my pocket money - Enid Blyton's St.Clares and Malory Towers, the Chalet School series by Elinor M.Brent-Dyer, progressing onto the Sweet Dreams imprint in my teens.  I obviously had a bit of a thing for book series - especially if set in a boarding school.  Who knows what the attraction was at the time but I enjoyed them!


Now the obsession is with cookery and craft books - damned heavy when you're moving house!

No comments: