Saturday 8 November 2008

They have absolutely no idea!!!

When I was offshore this week I started working my way through all the remnants of the Sunday supplements, as one does while one is sitting around waiting patiently for what is known as the Paraffin Budgie


to transfer one from one installation to another. Anyway I came across this little piece of advice in the Observer Woman supplement from Sunday the 2nd.

" The thrift guide: How to stop shopping, Eva Wiseman

1. Knit

There's only one way to stay warm in these tough times, and it involves yarn. Learn to knit on youtube.com (there are hundreds of how-to videos), then join a knitting circle. It'll get you out of the house, at least. Go to castoff.info to find your nearest."

Now, Eva obviously doesn't know much about knitting or she would realise that learning to knit does not equate with thrift...well not in my house anyway. It's cheaper than foreign holidays (just) but I know I spend more on my knitting than I do on my car each year though, then again, probably not as much as I spend on my food shopping. Doesn't she know there are tools and gadgets to buy, books and magazines that are compulsory purchases, patterns to download (not all free) and all sorts of pretty wool with which to supplement the habit. No frigging idea whatsoever!!!

See exhibit A below...does this look like a cheap hobby to you?!



A cat would be a much cheaper hobby...;-)

1 comment:

Ali said...

I saw the very same article and laughed out loud!!